About The Charity
The Suu Foundation is a non-political charity which was established in 2014 to serve the people of Myanmar.
Its goals are straightforward: to support the health, education, human rights and development of Myanmar and its people.
The Foundation worked initially on healthcare and education projects, and from 2015 it led a national road safety project focused especially on young people. This and other works had to end hurriedly when the military deposed the elected government.
The situation in Myanmar after the coup required a new plan, and a new energy to meet the threats faced by the people of the country. To protect human rights and fundamental freedoms, to support the health, education, and wellbeing of the people of Myanmar, and to have a particular concern for the needs of displaced and refugee populations – these are Suu Foundation’s overriding concerns at this time.
The Board and Officers of the Foundation are committed to this mission of service.
- Jean Todt, President of the Board
- Michelle Yeoh, Vice-President of the Board
- Roger Zanier, Board Member
- Margot Primat, Board Member
The Suu Foundation has revitalised its mission and purpose to respond to the military coup. The Board of the Suu Foundation therefore makes these promises to the people of Myanmar:
- We will do all in our power to protect the human rights and fundamental freedoms of the people of Myanmar.
- We strongly support the people of Myanmar in their pursuit of democracy, peace, and the rule of law.
- We will work in agile ways to support the health, education, and wellbeing of the people of Myanmar in accordance with these commitments.
- The Board, and the Foundation as a whole, stand opposed to violence in all and any form, and no funding from the Foundation has been used or will be used to support any entity, cause or organisation that commits acts of violence, or that encourages or mandates others to do so.
- Recipients of our funding will be required to state in writing that they share this same commitment to non-violence, and further to affirm that no funds coming from the Foundation will be used to support or to advocate for violence.
- Dr Michael Marett- Crosby, Chief Executive Officer
- Florence Woerth, General Secretary
- Meg Starbuck, Finance Officer
- Min Min, Project Development Officer